| ||Services & Capabilities |
The Spine Center at Hilton Head Hospital provides a range of non-surgical treatment options for conditions causing back pain that include:
- Chronic Pain Management: including biofeedback, medication, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation and counseling.
- Injections: such as epidural steroid injections, cortisone steroid injections, facet joint injections and injections to the nerve root sacroiliac.
- Physical Therapy: including both passive and active treatments, stretching, strengthening and low impact aerobic exercise
While most cases of back pain can be successfully treated with non-surgical options, some conditions may require surgery. Some of the diagnoses that may need surgery include:
- Herniated Discs
- Myelopathy and Stenosis
- Vertebral Fractures
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Spinal Cord Compression
Board-certified spine surgeons at the Spine Center at Hilton Head Hospital work with a specialized team of physicians to determine the best surgical treatment options for the patient. Surgical options may include:
- Laminectomy/Discectomy: a procedure in which part of the lamina is removed as well as a portion of a ligament. The herniated disc is then removed.
- Microdiscectomy: similar to a discectomy, but using a smaller injection.
- Cervical Spinal Fusion: when two or more vertebra are joined together using bone grafts, screws and rods.
- Lumbar Spinal Fusion: when two or more vertebra are joined together using bone grafts, screws and rods.
- Kyphoplasty: a two-step procedure in which a balloon is first inserted to restore the shape of the spine and then a cement-like mixture is inserted into the fractured vertebra.
- Treatment of Spine Trauma
- Treatment of Spinal Cord Injury
- Vertebroplasty: a procedure in which a cement-like mixture is inserted into the fractured vertebra.
- Hardware Revision